[78-L] "Shine", "St. Louis Blues" and copyright legislation

Tbroo at aol.com Tbroo at aol.com
Fri Apr 10 12:43:19 PDT 2009

I wrote about these in "Lost Sounds". Shine was originally published in
1910 as "That's Why They Call Me Shine," by Cecil Mack and Ford Dabney. It's
clearly p.d. because it is pre-1923. All songs published before 1923 are
p.d. in the U.S.; recordings are not. The 1910 sheet music featured Aida
Overton Walker (George Walker's wife) on the cover and is reprinted in the book
"35 Song Hits By Great Black Songwriters" by Dave Jasen (Dover, 1998). I
believe  Williams & Walker sang it on stage, although I do not know of any
period  recordings by them or anyone else. There's a whole interesting story
about who  "Shine" was.

The song was re-published as "Shine" in 1924, with "revised" lyrics by Lew
Brown, and that version is still under copyright (until 2019). It was much
recorded from then on. I haven't compared the two versions but Brown's
revisions  seem to have been fairly minor; the 1910 version looks a lot like the
song we  are familiar with.

This may have been a case of altering a song to renew the copyright.
However it you want to perform the 1910 version you're home free.

The first recording of "St. Louis Blues", an instrumental, was indeed  the
Columbia by Prince's Band in December 1915. It's a fascinating recording,
full of musical intricacies (including the habanera counterpoint during the
opening bars). The first vocal, if you want to call it that, is the Ciro's
Club  version in England (that was a Clef Club band led by Dan Kildare), but
there are  only short vocal interpolations amid the frantic banjos. The
first full vocal  version seems to be a tie -- Al Bernard's version on Emerson
7477/9163 (he  recorded it later for other labels) and Ernest Hare's on
Gennett 4513, both  released ca. May 1919. There is  a table of all the early
versions on  page 435 of LS. (What, you don't have Lost Sounds!!!!)

BTW, regarding stevenc's lament (with which I totally agree) about
recordings in the U.S. being tied up until 2067, some of you may have heard that
ARSC recently got legislation passed that directs the Copyright Office to
launch  the first-ever formal study of this issue, namely the effect of keeping
 pre-1972 recordings under state law until then. The CO is specifically
directed to look at the effect on preservation and access to those
recordings, to take public comment on the issue, and to report to Congress  within two
years with recommended changes in the law. This is the first step, we
think, in getting this bad situation addressed. It was quite a battle just to
get this far.

Tim B.

Message: 13