[78-L] St Louis Blues?-Chicken-Bert Williams

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Fri Apr 10 11:32:21 PDT 2009

Thanks very much for the info,  Ray.  I'm really surprised that the Prince
is the first record of the song...I'm not certain but I think it was
published two or three years before that.  Is it possible that record
companies didn't quickly catch on as to the merit of the thing?  But at the
same time I don't think the Prince must have sold all the well,  as I'd
never before seen it in 40+ years of poking through stacks and boxes of 78s.

BTW,  the Prince was one of about 100 interesting records I bought at an
estate sale yesterday...about 25 Viva Tonals from 1927-28 (including some
really odd dance band items I'd never seen) and about 75 mostly one-sided
and other early Victors,  pre-1918...including a fine recitation on Victor
called "The Chicken."

The biggest surprise was a one-sided Columbia of Bert Williams doing "I'm
Tired of Eating in the Restaurants" which seems to be the original issue
from 1906.  I've seen zillions of his blue Columbias and quite a few of his
double-sided black labels,  but this one-sider was a first for me.

Taylor B.