[78-L] St Louis Blues?

RAY KILCOYNE kil at roadrunner.com
Fri Apr 10 03:49:26 PDT 2009

Looks like you may have the original, Taylor.  Here's what Wikipedia
lists........

Researcher Guy Marco, in his book Encyclopedia of Recorded Sound in the
United States, stated that the first audio recording of "St. Louis Blues"
was by Al Bernard in July 1918 on the record company label Aeolian-Vocalion
(cat. no. 12148). This is however not true, since Columbia's house band,
directed by Charles A. Prince, had recorded a released instrumental version
already in December 1915 (Columbia A5772). Bernard's version may have been
the first US issue to include the lyrics though. However, by then Ciro's
Club Coon Orchestra, a group of black American artists appearing in Britain,
had already recorded a version including the lyrics in September 1917 (UK
Columbia 699).
RayK

From: "Taylor Bowie"