[78-L] Dance history (was: (no subject))

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Apr 6 14:21:23 PDT 2009

Several years ago at the Centre College/Danville.KY annual conference at
the Great American Brass Band Festival, we had a demonstration of the
development of modern ballroom dancing.  The woman (whose name escapes
me at the moment) is a dancer and dance historian and is the daughter of
a noted military band researcher.  One year she and her partner
illustrated her father's talk on the close relationship between the
military march tempo and classic ragtime tempo, and why military bands
were the major purveyors of dance music at the turn of the century.  The
next year she traced and demonstrated all of the dances that we find on
our early records.  I have both of these demonstration talks on
videotape.  I do need to get these to her and find out if she is doing
any demo videos herself.  These talks were extraordinarily informative.

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com

Kristjan Saag wrote:

> I wrote:
>
>>> Mazurka?