[78-L] BLUE STAR

RAY KILCOYNE kil at roadrunner.com
Mon Apr 6 08:21:12 PDT 2009

> David Lennick wrote:
>> I thought Freddy Martin was on Capitol at that time. Could the chart have
>> misprinted the label name? That often happened on CHUM charts in Toronto
>> where
>> the local distributor's name (e.g. Apex) appeared instead of the
>> originator
>> (e.g. Roulette). Is this "Blue Star" the "Medic" theme?
>>
>> dl
> ---------------
> You can find a sample at
> http://www.hbdirect.com/album_detail.php?pid=1015454
>
>      Julian Vein

Both this site and Worldsrecords say the recordings on the "Make Believe" CD
were made in the early 1950's.  But we know BLUE STAR didn't come out until
1955, so some of the tracks may have been from RCA Victor masters, but maybe
some were from a later label.
Looking carefully at the cover art for "Make Believe" I see it says
recordings from 1956-1957.  So that answers one of my questions.  It "was"
an old recording used in 1963 for the Philippines release.  So which label
was Martin with in 1956-1957?
I don't know how Worldsrecords got the dates 1951-1952.  And was Merv
Griffith still with Freddy Martin as late as 1956-1957.  I thought he was
long gone by then, but it says Merv is on the "Make Believe" CD.
RayK