[78-L] Two singers who cause me pain

Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. citroenid19 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 4 09:25:04 PDT 2009

Most likely, the worst singer ever was Ethel Stanley.
Sylvester Ahola spoke of her in frank terms in Dick Hill's book
Lou Calabrese and Sylvester were doing some recordings for Edison. The
studio brought in this singer to "enhance" their performances. In the
end, the recordings were rejected, the management statement being that
the singer's voice was not acceptable.
Sylvester:
 "She was a shouter, sounding like a female version of Ted Lewis, and
when you hear that vocal, it'll drive you nuts. I have a four-bar break
in each number, but the keys that she sang in! My solos were way down in
the "cellar". I never heard of Ethel Stanley before...or since.

Supposedly, there exists in the Edison archives at least 3 recordings,
which I have not found.
2 of "Looking At The World Through Rose Colored Glasses"
and one of "Cock-a-Doodle I'm Off My Noodle.

Both songs were later redone with some success, sans Miss Stanley.

I found a stream of  "Rose Colored Glasses" here
http://wfmu.org/playlists/shows/14658
slide over to
27:30 on the Real audio stream

Sylvester and Lou and some wonderful clarinet and Miss Stanley. Ouch!!!

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)
Technology, thoughtfully, responsibly.