[78-L] Vaughn DeLeath

Jeff Lichtman jeff at swazoo.com
Sat Apr 4 00:12:55 PDT 2009

>   Nothing "unmusical" about Vaughn's singing.  She had a pleasant
> voice and hit the
>right notes every time; what's not to like?  And someone prefers nasal, tinny
>KAUFMAN?  Yuck. (He rolled lots of Rs in his time, btw) .

Vaughn De Leath isn't one of my favorites, although I don't hate her
singing the way some others do. She was OK with certain types of
material - her performance of Banana Oil is one of my favorite novelty records.

I should say, though, that there's a lot more to singing than hitting
the notes and having a pleasant voice. One of De Leath's faults was
that she often sounded babyish or sing-songy (if that makes sense for
a singer).

>   Most men don't like women's voices at all, which is a consideration when
>discussing singers.

Where in the world did you come up with this? Female singers have
always been popular with men. Speaking as someone with a Y
chromosome, I'll say that most of my favorite singers from the 78 era
are women: Annette Hanshaw, Ethel Waters, Cleo Brown, the Boswell
Sisters, Miss Patricola, Evelyn Preer, Georgia White. . .

                        -        Jeff Lichtman
                                 jeff at swazoo.com
                                 http://swazoo.com/