[78-L] Two singers who cause me pain

Mark Hendrix 78L gennett5276 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 3 21:06:58 PDT 2009

I think that Whiteman arrangement is overblown. A much better version is the
one on the "From Gershwin's Time" CD, which is I think by Fred Rich's
Orchestra.  Again, the vocal is by Vaughn DeLeath, and again she runs
aground on the same low notes.  All the same, I like her singing on this
one, though it can't hold a candle to Marion Harris' version.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned her delirious version of "Its Tight Like
That," accompanied by the Grey Gull house band.  Jazz Oracle reissued this
side on their Grey Gull Rarities CD.  One of the most crazed, frantic
recordings I have heard in any idiom.  A masterpiece!

--Mark Hendrix