[78-L] [ARSCLIST] Fats Waller aircheck set

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Apr 2 12:37:34 PDT 2009

Thomas Stern wrote:
> DOCUMENT Records, formerly of Austria, now in the UK is
> a full price label.
> DOCUMENTS is a German based company, with multiple
> labels, extremely inexpensive multiple cd sets.
> Classical, jazz, blues.  Discussions on these lists
> indicate they 'appropriate' material from other
> full price reissue labels, dub from lp's etc. with
> little or no sound restoration or production.

I had not known of this second company.  I see that they issued a 10-DC
box last year Fats Waller Portrait Vol 2, but I see it priced at over
$90.  That is bad that two reissue companies have names so similar,
especially when they are so different!

> Sorry for my loose language - I tend to call anything
> not reissued by the original (or successor thereto) label
> nor licensed from them a bootleg.  I suppose the
> distinction between boots, pirates, counterfeits, etc.
> may be useful......
>
> Best wishes, Thomas.

You fell into the trap that the RIAA intended!!!  Back in the 70s and
80s when bootleg concert and recording session outtake LPs were numerous
and popular, and counterfeit cassettes were being sold at every flea
market and many streetcorners, the RIAA set out to get the FBI to
protect them from both of these problems.  But since collectors LIKED
bootlegs but disliked counterfeits, the RIAA set out to confuse the word
bootleg to be popularly used to cover both of these items.  But when
legal cases are taken to court, they have to be careful to distinguish
among these three different terms because the courts use these three
terms to accurately define these three different things.  If they were
to accuse a counterfeit of being a bootleg, they'd lose the case.  But
they wanted all of these to be tarred with the same brush in the public
press, and encouraged journalists and music reporters to confuse the
terms.

Mike Biel    mbiel at mbiel.com