[78-L] Teddy Roosevelt 1912 Campaign Speech

Sean Miller smille1 at nycap.rr.com
Thu Apr 2 06:48:37 PDT 2009

Ron may have a brass soundbox...I have two of them that soft tones sometimes
shift in, even if the thumbscrew is tightened all the way. The later ortho
soundboxes don't seem to have that problem, at least none of mine do.

And, yes, soft tone steel needles are excellent on a large orthophonic.
Even with acoustics.  I've been using mostly cactus and bamboo needles
lately with my machines, they're far more gentle on records than steel, for
sure and they give the tone of a soft of maybe half tone needle at best.

I know this debate comes up once in awhile.  I'm both a record collector and
a phonograph collector and I'm a strong believer in using my machines,
nearly on a daily basis I play something on an acoustic machine, whether or
not it's the machine or the record I'm listening to.  One thing a number of
record collectors fail to realize is that if you're playing a machine that
has had nothing done with it, you will certainly damage records far faster
than you would with a properly rebuilt (therefore much more compliant)
reproducer.  All of my machines have been serviced, and yes kids, it makes a
HUGE difference in both sound and record wear.

If anyone here wants to do some interesting reading on record and needle
wear, there are some interesting articles in the Grampohone Archive
www.gramophone.org to check out.

I'm not about to play my Berliners or 1902 Caruso G&Ts on any of my acoustic
machines. I do have modern equipment for that which I use more than anything
else, I'm not going to deny myself the enjoyment of these fascinating pieces
of history that helped me discover some wonderful old records in the process
and triggered two great hobbies for me as a result.

Sean, who keeps a special set of shelves for "Victrola" copies of discs
right next to the Credenza.