[78-L] Phonograph vs. REcord

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Wed Apr 1 16:17:56 PDT 2009

Thank you,  Mike.  I agree 100%.  I am not interested in the phonograph or
any other system except as to how well it plays the recording.

I know an MD who collects antique medical devices...I doubt he ever
considers using them,  even on his older patients!

Over the years,  I've slowly upgraded my system to the point where I'm now
able to hear things from records which I hadn't even know were there.  They
were there all the time,  but the "period" equipment couldn't reproduce all
the sounds that were in the groove.  Good examples of this can be found on
late 20s and early 30s Viva tonal Columbias.  Simply put,  the recording
technique of the time was better than even the best machines made to play
the records.

The"romance" or whatever of playing good records on some old wind-up machine
just eludes me.   As Mike put it so clearly,  either you are listening to
the phonograph or to the record...my interest is in the latter.

Taylor B