[78-L] Mitch Miller Horrifies

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 21:19:58 PDT 2009

I wonder what the motivation was to put this set together. There is no
question that Miller, a very talented man, was responsible for some of the
worst recordings ever perpetrated on the public. The fact is that that very
public bought a lot of these records, and his radio and television program
was very popular.

As if adding insult to injury, Miller claimed that only he knew how
Gershwin's late concert compositions should sound, because he played them
with Gershwin at the podium. His memory must have deteriorated badly; these
were the worst recordings Gershwin I've ever heard.

Of course the buying public could send a great message to JSP by not buying
this set.

And yes, I agree with Dr. Biel that Miller made up for all of this garbage
by keeping Alec Wilder busy in any number of capacities. That certainly is
worth something.

Jeff Sultanof