[78-L] Mitch Miller Horrifies

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Mar 28 18:44:57 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Royal Pemberton" <ampex354 at gmail.com>
>I found a latter-day shockaroo at a thrift shop a few weeks
> ago....ever heard of an MM&TG album called PEACE SING-ALONG?
> (Atlantic SD 8277, from 1970.)
> The tunes:  'Last night I had the strangest dream'
> 'If I had a hammer'
> 'Carry it on'
> 'Where have all the flowers gone?'
> 'If we only have love'
> 'We shall overcome'
> 'This land is your land'
> 'Turn! Turn! Turn!'
> 'Blowin' in the wind'
> 'What the world needs now is love'
> 'Give peace a chance'
>
> All given the (in)famous 'Gang' treatment.  50 cents, with lyric
> sheets....too weird to pass up.

Should be sub-titled "CBS tries to sell easy-listening records to
'hippies'"...?! Given that the inherent market for "Easy Listening"
records has an average age of about 55 +/-, and the average
age of hippies (THEN?!) was 20 or less...I'm surprised even
this one example was sold...?!

The (late) sixties were a very odd time! This was the same
period when reviewers of "classic" recordings suddenly
started issuing reviews of "rock" recordings like "Sgt.
Pepper's...!!"

I might also note an LP album I THINK I still own...
enti-tittled "The Norman Luboff Choir Sings the Blues"...?!

Are there any REALLY unusual 101 Strings issues?!

...stevenc