[78-L] Pairing artists [FWD]

simmonssomer simmonssomer at comcast.net
Sat Mar 28 03:24:14 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Harkin" <harkinmike at yahoo.com>
To: <78-L at klickitat.78online.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2009 3:59 AM
Subject: [78-L] Pairing artists [FWD]

> Taylor Bowie wrote, " As far as  I recall,  no one has mentioned
>> one of the worst "celebrity
>> > artists" parings on 78rpm...the infamous
>> Sinatra-Dagmar sides on Columbia.
>> > Yes,  she was a "star" of sorts,  at least
>> for a few years on TV."
>> >

> You have to wonder:-  As best I recall the antediluvian days of my youth,
> whatever it was that made Dagmar a 'star' would never have come acrosss on
> a record....
>
> Mike in Plovdiv

She was one of the most popular members of the "Broadway Open House" TV show
starring Jerry Lester. It was the very first late night TV variety/comedy
program and Dagmar played the prototypical dumb blond although she was far
from being one.  She was a towering presence and outstanding from all
angles. I remember her forward contributions to that pioneer program with
fondness.

Al Simmons