[78-L] Odeon acoustic beauty

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Wed Mar 25 17:41:10 PDT 2009

Ray Kilcoyne wrote:

 > Joyce wasn't too prolific.
--
On the contrary. As the sought after "Waltz King" of Britain in the 1910's
Archibald Joyce (1873 - 1963) could write a waltz in a day - which he often
did. He continued to write music well into the 1940's, and some of his songs
sold in huge quantities. "Passing Of Salome" (1912) was sold out (50 000
copies of sheet music) in a few months. A few decades later he returned to
the Salome theme (which he explored as early as 1909 with "Visions Of
Salome") with the beautiful "Phantom Of Salome" - which I played in my
programme two weeks ago. It was recorded in 1998 by The London Salon
Ensemble.

Marco Polo issued a whole CD with Archibald Joyce's music in 1995:
http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.223694

The liner notes can be read at

http://www.naxos.com/mainsite/blurbs_reviews.asp?item_code=8.223694&catNum=223694&filetype=About%20this%20Recording&language=English#

Kristjan