[78-L] Koussey Played Bass

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Mar 23 20:44:50 PDT 2009

The issued sides are definitely master pressings..the run-in is added (but
doesn't have that buzz they got when they added run-ins in the 30s) and you can
see the shaved area and the re-cut run-out, same as they did on the John
McCormack reissue set. The other 4 sides were all probably ten-inch since
they're very short (only "Andante Part 2" looks longer and it has widely spaced
grooves). I'm surprised they didn't give these fake 20s matrix numbers, or did
Victor only do that in the 50s?

Note, there were more than 2 issued sides..there were 4 (see below).

Anyway, onward and upward..to get Edward D. Young's Koussy discography from the
ARSC Journal (Spring 1990, which Mike could have looked up himself) off the
shelf and see if they're listed with original matrix numbers.

Yup, here they are. Note that there's one more side not included in LE-1 but
which WAS issued on LP, LCT 1145. Individual numbers in the reissue set aren't
given here (wonder why?). Reassigned matrix numbers are shown, but only in the
"notes" section at the end.

KOUSSEVITZKY: CONCERTO FOR DOUBLE BASS OP. 3, 2ND MOVEMENT, ANDANTE: BVE
42992-4, 42993-6; LE-1, LCT 1145

KOUSSEVITZKY: VALSE MINIATURE OP. 1: BVE 46178-3, VICTOR 1476, HMV DA 1150,
LE-1, LCT 1145

ECCLES: SONATA IN G MINOR FOR VIOLIN AND CONTINUO: LARGO: CVE 42996-1, -4,
	VICTOR 7159, LE-1, LCT 1145 (so we don't know which take was reissued..the
take # was obliterated along with the run-out groove)

(all Sept. 25, 1929, Liederkranz Hall)

LASKA: WIEGENLIED, BVE 42997-3, LE-1

BEETHOVEN: MINUET IN G, BVE 42998-5, VICTOR 1476, HMV DA 1150, LCT 1145, part
on SRL-12-11

KOUSSEVITZKY: CHANSON TRISTE OP. 2, CVE 42999-2, 7159, LE-1

(all Sept. 26, 1929, Liederkranz Hall)

Young points out that the dubs are the shits, to put it mildly, and that two of
those dubs were used for the LP transfer (Valse Miniature & Wiegenlied) while
the other sides were transferred from original metal parts..which doesn't mean
that they don't wow as well. I haven't listened to that LP in years.

Oh..1000 sets.

dl