[78-L] Collection remains mute

Eric Jacobs Eric at NoopMedia.com
Mon Mar 23 14:49:31 PDT 2009

On Monday, March 23, 2009 1:35 PM, Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. wrote:

> > For a complete list of Do's and Don'ts with transcription discs (aka
> > lacquers):
> >
> > http://www.theaudioarchive.com/TAA_Resources_Disc_Transcription.htm#Do
> >

> Thanks. Clearly not a job for an amateur such as myself.

So long as you're armed with the Do's and Don'ts, you won't be harming
the collection.  "Do no harm" is the mantra!

> > Those discs should probably be digitized soon - the laminate is only
> > continuing to shrink, and will eventually delaminate.  It's inevitable.
> > If the discs are coated in palmitic acid, that's just another sign
> > of deterioration.  Cleaning and digitizing, and then re-sleeving in
> > fresh base-buffered acid-free sleeves would be best - but not
> > inexpensive.

> Thanks so much. I will have to ask if they are aware of the urgency of
> this project. How much does the recovery process cost, in a round figure?

It all depends on the number of discs and their condition, whether the
discs need to be re-housed or not, what sort of metadata is to be
embedded (if any), how the final results are to be delivered (hard disk,
LTO, optical discs) and if access versions are needed in addition to
preservation masters.  This makes it difficult to put a round figure to
a project - but if I had to venture to guess, you're looking at anywhere
from $50 to $100 per disc, more for broken/cracked/damaged discs.

Totally OT, but I checked out your website and it reminded me of my days
of living and working in France for PSA (the makers of Peugeot and
Citroen).  We have a few DS-series cars here in my area - I love that
car!  The winemaker Randall Grahm (Bonny Doon vinyards) collects the
DS and the Traction Avant (my grandfather had one of these).

Eric Jacobs

The Audio Archive, Inc.
tel: 408.221.2128
fax: 408.549.9867
mailto:EricJ at TheAudioArchive.com
http://www.TheAudioArchive.com
Disc and Tape Audio Transfer Services and Preservation Consulting