[78-L] What has spotted these discs?

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Mar 23 13:55:33 PDT 2009

From:Stephen Davies
>   Several records in this newly acquired "Birth of the blues" album
> (Victor P-82) have spotting on them. "Careless love" (Victor 27545-A) and
> "Memphis blues" (Victor 27542-B) are spotted with something, and I don't
> want to assume it is mold.

It could be mold, especially if it is seen or felt on the labels as
well.  Were these sides firectly facing the front and back covers of the
album?   The cardboard retains moisture more than the sleeve paper.  If
the labels are unaffected it could be caused by spray droplets of an
alcohol-containing spray.  Once I was spraying a room with Lysol Spray
and there was a broken Red Seal record lying out.  I was just spraying
the room air and found that SUDDENLY there were white spots all over the
previously mint (although broken in two) record.  But if you feel a
little roughness and powdery feel on the labels, it is mold.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com