[78-L] shifting phases

Doug Pomeroy pomeroyaudio at att.net
Mon Mar 23 13:28:04 PDT 2009

Message: 7
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 08:44:44 -0500
From: "Mark Durnberger" <Mark4 at durenberger.com>
Subject: Re: [78-L] shifting phases
To: "78-L Mail List" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>,
	<ampex at recordist.com>

This approach...what I'd loosely call the "Differential Method"...is
also
one of the radio broadcaster's underrated tools.  Stereo stations can
set up
their audio by transmitting a clean L-R signal while adjusting their
audio
transmission equipment for a NULL as heard on a MONO receiver.  The
simplistic assumption is that when both audio channels are balanced,
their
combined output will be maximized with an L+R signal, and minimized
when the
signal is L-R.

I posit this thought with full respect for my friends and fellow-
listers Bob
Orban and Bill Ruck, who will tell you it isn't always that
simple :-))  But
this is a terrific starting point and a simple tool.

And why wouldn't one use this method to adjust the RECORD side of a tape
deck...assuming the playback side is solidly calibrated?

There are those of us who have used this shortcut for many years.

Regards,

Mark Durenberger

Doug Pomeroy
POMEROY AUDIO
Audio Restoration & Mastering Services
Transfers of metal masters, lacquers,
shellac and vinyl discs & tapes.
193 Baltic St
Brooklyn, NY 11201-6173
(718) 855-2650
pomeroyaudio at att.net

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."
---Albert Einstein