[78-L] Maceo Jefferson vocals Elizabeth Welch Salabert session

yves francois aprestitine at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 22 10:10:10 PDT 2009

Regarding this session:

Maceo Jefferson and his Boys : Arthur Briggs, Harry Cooper (tp) Billy Burns (tb) Filiberto Rico, Alcide Castellanos (as) Frank "Big Boy" Goodie (ts) Freddie Johnson (p) Maceo Jefferson (bj) Juan Fernandez (b) Oliver Tines (d) Elisabeth Welch (vcl)
Paris, c. October 1933

SS1625-B Ready for love Salabert (F)3360
SS1626-B Stormy weather (ew vcl) -
SS1627-A Crying for love (ew vcl) (F)3372
SS1628-B Look who's here -

I have Salabert 3372, I find Elizabeth Welch's vocal to be quite fascinating on "Crying For Love" (this song expresses emotions regarding love so much better than the drivel today, BTW), is this unique to her work (I have not heard "Stormy Weather", and only know of her later singing in the last years of her life), there are moments that she reminds me, of all people, Cab Calloway. Is there anyone who knew her (Earl perhaps) and may have some memories from her regarding her involvement on this session.
  BTW this is truly an all star affair, some of the greatest musicians in paris are on this, Arthur Briggs, Harry Cooper (2 excellent trumpets, I take that the brief interlude on Look's Who's Here before the tenor solo to be Cooper, but I am not at all certain, for sure Briggs would be lead trumpet), Big Boy Goudie is most featured, and the lead alto is , of all people Filiberto Rico, leaderof the very popular Rico's Creole Band, now one day I will also own Salabert 3360 (or perhaps a dub) ...
Yves Francois