[78-L] constant velocity records, was Value of 78's

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Mar 20 20:36:27 PDT 2009

Dnjchi at aol.com wrote:

> Playback might be possible if software could be developed by which the  speed
> of the download might be increased or decreased (which is it?) linearly  from
> start to finish.  That is, digitalize at (say) 78, and then use some  program
> to adjust for playback.  Has this yet been done?
> Don Chichester

Probably fairly easy to do in the digital domain once you know the key in which
the music should be (roughly), and the fact that World Records showed a playing
time on the label will help. But there's no guarantee that the speed was
absolutely constant during the recording process, any more than conventional
78s are absolutely correct throughout..your ear will have to play a part in the
processing process.

There were also CV discs made for a juke box around the early 40s. These have
been mentioned here once or twice and I think Kurt Nauck had some listed a
couple of years ago.