[78-L] Value of 78's

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Fri Mar 20 15:45:47 PDT 2009

Hello John,

This is just my two cents and others may have a very different perspective.

I own maybe 700 or 800  English dance band 78s,  mostly of the 1925 - 1940
era.  I have found that,  as a rule,  they do not usually fetch as much
money as do many of the American dance band records of the same era.  These
days I seldom end up spending more than about  $20 for any but the rarest
and most sought-after...and I seldom if ever buy any dance bands at auction
which are less than E or E- in condition.  I often am able to win them for
ten dollars or less.

So 500 misc. English dance bands,  assuming the condition to be E or better,
might have a total value as a group of 2500 to 5000 dollars...I would guess.
But record values also seem to fluctuate widely,  sometimes for no apparent
reason.

Taylor B