[78-L] Fwd: Kitty O'Connor

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 19 20:34:30 PDT 2009

Frank Crumit's voice is not quite as polished as Whispering Jack Smith's, say, but
it got better the more I listened and I came to realise what a versatile talent he really
was. There are few others from that era who could move so flawlessly from country-ish
songs like "Mountains Ain't No Place for Bad Men" (Vic 22021) and "The Pig Got Up
and Slowly Walked Away" (Decca 313, and if he wasn't drunk while recording it he was
a damn good actor!) to droll numbers like "Song of the Prune" (Vic 21430) to utterly
perfect renditions of regular pop songs. "A Sunny Disposish" and "My Lady"
(Vic 20486) are delivered with a sincerity that most other singers of that time would
envy. And his "Crazy Words, Crazy Tune" (Vic 20462) is downright hilarious ("But
tonight will be the end / Yessirree 'cause I intend / To go up and kick him in the
vo-do-do-de-oh-do").

Certainly anyone has the right to disagree. But I think that Frank Crumit's singing
is one of the joys of 78 collecting.

-Harold