[78-L] Limited edition Miller

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Mar 19 11:07:18 PDT 2009

David Weiner wrote:
> The green edition was from the RCA Victor Record Club and was often given
> away by mail with a new 45 player - all the tracks are shortened to cram 15
> EPs worth of material onto 10!

They shortened the tracks??!!!!!  Boy, that is taking the Readers Digest
condensations to the extreme!!  Remember that the club was run by
Readers Digest in those days, and that the original freebie (as
mentioned in my prior post) was called Listener's Digest.  All copies I
remember seeing of the LD were the gray labels, but I see copies of the
Miller green box shown on oboy with gray, black, or pink labels!

> And another reason the big padded sets are so common is that when you
> ordered your initial 5 LPs from the Record Club, you could write the catalog
> number of the records you wanted on the form.  One of my friends wrote down
> LPT-6700, LPT 6701 and LPT-6702 and got those three sets as three of his 5
> LPs!
>
> Dave W.

I had mentioned that the sets were pushed by the club, but they must
have gotten wind of your friend's trick because the postcard in my
previously mentioned Dec 5. 1961 issue of Look magazine has a string of
five boxes for the numbered records and a SEPARATE box for the Miller
5-disc set.  The other multi-disc sets had multiple numbers for the five
boxes -- and the ad does not use the actual catalog numbers.  For
example, Belefonte at Carnegie Brawl is 950 and 950A, and Turendot is
952, 952A, and 952B.  They do not have a number for the Miller set, so
there is no way to sneak it into one of the five boxes.  In later years
the albums were given six digit numbers by the club for the order
blanks, and occasionally there were pressings that show those numbers on
the sleeves.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

From: Michael Biel