[78-L] Electric Edison Diamond Discs

Michael Shoshani mshoshani at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 17 15:45:56 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 16:18 -0400, martha wrote:
> Early-on, they used a home made system whipped-up by Theodore and others;  later,
> RCA equipment was purchased.
> The earlier electricals do have a unique sound (tinny distortion) ... those from
> later 1928 and 1929 are much better.
>
> Vertical & lateral masters were cut simultaneously, using 2 lathes and amplifiers
> but one microphone (no surprise stereo )
>
> This is from memory, subject to recollection correction  :)

I have George Frow's "The Edison Disc Phonographs And Diamond Discs"
open in front of me. In the chapter "Bitter End" Frow notes that from
1928 all New York studios recordings had combined lateral and vertical
discs at the same sessions, but this information comes after he
declares:

"...on August 15th (1929) another historic step was taken when the
making of direct masters for Diamond Discs was discontinued, except on
instructions from West Orange, and it looked as if owners of the Diamond
Disc Phonographs would have to accept dubbed recordings for the future,
as had Edison cylinder enthusiasts from 1915."

Also, I was wrong about Edison only having one studio. Apparently in
January 1929 the studio at 79 Fifth Avenue moved to 261 Fifth Avenue,
but there were also studios at Columbia Street, Sixth Avenue, and 19th
Street.