[78-L] Edison's interference in the Edison catalogue, pt 2

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Mar 10 14:02:40 PDT 2009

Posted for Brad Kay <SUPRBATONE at aol.com> who's postings are somehow not getting thru:

This is great!  I got the same story from Mr. Coslow himself.  We got to know
each other in the '70s when I sent him a copy of his first recorded song (on
Medallion, by the Louisiana Five - the title escapes me at this moment); We
became transcontinental phone buddies and had frequent conversations.  He said
when he started playing "Carolina in the Morning" for Mr. Edison, Edison said,
"STOP! Never mind all that gingerbread!! Just play the melody!"  "JUST the
melody?" asked Sam.  "YES! The melody!! A song is nothing without a good melody.
Forget the gingerbread! Just play the melody!"  So Sam played the tune
without the "gingerbread," and was fired for his trouble, just as recounted above.

 -Brad Kay