[78-L] More on Electradisk and early Bluebird

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 9 18:38:14 PDT 2009

Awesome to get confirmation about Sid Peltyn...I looked him up in the 1930 census,
where he was a 25 year old musician living in Brooklyn with parents George and
Miriam. Social Security records indicate that he lived from 1 March 1905 until
April 1983, last residence in Valley Stream, NY. I did manage to find what was
on all the (known) 8-inch Electradisks, along with song titles and pseudonyms,
one of which was Charles Prince! (on 1806, disguising Peltyn).

It's interesting how a handful of 20s bandleaders found a brief niche at Bluebird in the
mid-30s...Johnny Hamp and Jack Shilkret were there for a while, as were Paul
Tremaine and Barney Rapp. Even the California Ramblers name was revived for a
few 1935-36 records (don't know if it was the original band, but wasn't Ed Kirkeby
involved in those sessions?)

-Harold