[78-L] More on Electradisk and early Bluebird

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 9 18:02:39 PDT 2009

Folks, I have a few more pesky inquiries about these labels, particularly the series
that are rarely talked about. My apologies if this ground has been covered before!

-The first Electradisks were 8 inches in diameter, numbered 1800-1809; all were
dance bands and full details of these issues can be found in the Gene Kardos
and Sid Peltyn chapters of Rust's ADBD. It appears that the same material also
appeared on Bluebird's very first issues, with the blue and black labels and the
same catalogue numbers, but I'm not completely certain, and I wonder if anyone
could confirm or deny. These 8-inch discs are incredibly rare, of course, but I hope
that at least someone has had a glimpse of them.

-Bluebird continued that series as 10-inch discs from nos. 1810 through 1853, per
http://78rpmrecord.com/blblabl.htm
I don't have a solid idea of what was released under those numbers, save for a few
listed in the ADBD. Did they replicate Electradisk's 10-inch 1900 series, and did
Electradisk ever use the 1810-1899 numbers?

-Finally, there's a somewhat mysterious 2500-2509 range of Electradisks that I also
haven't found much on. The only one I've tracked down is 2503, Gene Kardos sides
issued as the "Pennsylvania Collegians". This series was 10-inch, and the aforementioned
Kardos recordings were the only 10-inch masters in the 72875-72896 matrix range
(all the others produced sides for the 8-inch Electradisk and Bluebird issues and
were recorded on 13 and 14 June 1932).

Grateful thanks to anyone who can provide assistance!

-Harold