[78-L] Liberty Music Shop, NYC

Tbroo at aol.com Tbroo at aol.com
Mon Mar 9 08:49:29 PDT 2009

Actually this was rather common in the 1890s, when most cylinder  phonographs
could record as well as play back and national "labels" were just  getting
started. There are lots of reports of traveling artists (including some  of the
black groups in "Lost Sounds") recording for local record stores as they
passed through a town. Sweatman is supposed to have recorded "Maple Leaf Rag"  for
a Minneapolis store in 1903-04. I guess you could argue whether these were
"labels," but some of the stores seemed to have ongoing recording operations. I
 have some 1890s brown wax announced as for the "Hall Music Company of
Chicago,"  which I assume was a record store.

Discs may be another matter, but I think some of the pirate labels of the
early 1900s pressed under store names.

Tim B.