[78-L] copyright

alanbuntinguk at yahoo.com alanbuntinguk at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 8 18:53:31 PDT 2009

I've now discovered that the reference to June 1957 actually comes from page18 of the document you referred to (Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988) which is headed "Transitional provisions" and says:

(5) Copyright in the following descriptions of work continues to subsist until the end of the period of 50 years from the end of the calendar year in which the new copyright provisions come into force—
(a) unpublished sound recordings made on or after 1st June 1957;
(b) films not falling within sub-paragraph (2)(e) above,
unless the recording or film is published before the end of that period in which case copyright in it shall continue until the end of the period of 50 years from the end of the calendar year in which the recording or film is published.

I think I'm right in assuming that this rule still applies.

However, in the words of The Goon Show "It's all rather confusing, really"

Alan Bunting