[78-L] copyright, thoughts

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Mar 8 18:47:15 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Rice" <bobrice at snet.net>

Sadly, EVERY record ever made in the US Of A is currently protected...NOT
by copyright, but by an accumulation of (usually) State laws intended to
stop
"piracy" (the illegal copying and pressing of already-extant sound
recordings).
Since many, if not most, of these laws lack specific terms and/or expiry
dates,
they would keep sound recordings un-reissuable forever; however, the US
Government decided to replace this legal mish-mosh with copyright
effective 1/1/2067, putting most of these recordings into the public domain!

Now...many (NOT most) 78rpm sound recordings are legally controlled by
a handful of companies; BMG-Sony own the Victor "archives" along with
all the ARC companies (via CBS) and Decca is presumably MCA (or
their descendant[s]). Note that many of the "Indie labels" of the twenties
and the post-WWII period no longer HAVE copyright owners...nevertheless
Sonny Bono's laws prevent them from reissue...!

So far here in Canada we still use the 50-year term; the last attempt at a
revised "Copyright Law" did NOT change the term (it "died" before
passage because it wasn't passed before the Parliamentary term had
ended...!)

Steven C. Barr