[78-L] copyright, thoughts

Bob Rice bobrice at snet.net
Sun Mar 8 08:55:28 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Steward" <chris.1picc at yahoo.co.uk>
To: "78-l" <78-l at 78online.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 08, 2009 10:50 AM
Subject: [78-L] copyright

> Hallo!
> I would be grateful for advice about copyright. I want to reissue some 78s
> on a CD in Britain. If I include recordings originally made in the USA,
> are they subject to USA or British copyright law?
> Thanks for any help,
> Chris
  Hi Chris;

    I THOUGHT of that several years asgo with random 78 selections, like a
WW1 discography? Got a lotta records fronm that era. At that time I was
disuaded from doing it as folks THOUGH I might be running afowl of Victor's
rights? Although I remember surfing into record sites and being able to
listen/download songs and MANY saying "Public Domain" there., but of late
with the "music" I use the termn loosley, biz TRYING to copyright everything
fron Edison's "Mary Had a Little Lamb" on up? I mean WHO would give a Rat's
Exhaust Pipe IF you reissued stuff off Victor, or the "Complete 1922 Grey
Gull in Philly Collection?" As things are a bit murky here?WHO would own, a
Madison, or Any OTHER of the forgotten labels and bands, in my collection.
WHY somebody might , with some of them<g>?

    I would think just "Go Ahead" and IF anybody objects ya STOP?I mean, yur
working with folks on here would appreciate the stuff?Nobody would blow the
whistle on ya?Like what do I know<g>?

    Seeya

    Bob, celler full of 78's!