[78-L] copyright

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Sun Mar 8 15:01:17 PDT 2009

--
The CD is becoming obsolete - no matter the number of record stores in
Southern California.
So why not try digital online distribution instead?
With no physical distribution/ distributor involved you should be able to
sell any quantity of files without trouble, as far as you don't sell from
the US.
What we're seeing, at the moment, is an immense increase of back catalogue
material resurfacing as files, recordings that haven't been available for
years. New vintage material is also added, because it's cheap to do it.
Releasing an album is not a huge project anymore and you can even chose
alternative formats: digital EP's and singles for minor projects.
Ways of distribution and retail business have changed dramatically in very
short time: many artists, in all categories of music, arrange for download
possibilities from their websites. They don't even bother to offer
remainders of their CDs. Takes too much time, costs too much.
And take a look at Youtube where thousands of 78s are presented together
with moving images of turntables spinning the records, giving the old
recordings new audiences (and creating an interest in the phonograph
technique itself). Or where they are accompanied with tastefully arranged
photos of the artists or the subject matter of the song etc. Youtube is what
the record companies should've done years ago: present music in a new and
attractive package. Those record companies who'll learn from this will
survive.
So, as an alternative to expensive booklets, jewel boxes, physical CDs and a
distributor who'll be bust in a year or two anyway: start a virtual record
label, do a nice online presentation of your material and present quality
restored music. If you want to present an ambitious booklet: create a
digital one and print it on demand, or attach it as a pdf file to the sound
files. And you can keep your product in stock as long as there is
electricity. Whereas Amazon UK would drop your product after a year or two
if it doesn't sell.
Kristjan