[78-L] Need a needle!

Jim Whipkey suuford at msn.com
Fri Mar 6 10:45:38 PST 2009

I need some help from this well-informed list re:  finding a  stylus for  a
phonograph.  I  got excited last night  while attending an estate auction
and  purchased a Panasonic am/fm phonograph which plays 4 speeds,  16-33-45
and 78.  It's model SG-650, made by Matsushita Elec. Industraial Co LTD in
Japan.   The  radio  works fine, but  the  needle cartridge is  missing.
Search on E-Bay  failed to turn  up exact match, although there are a lot of
needles and stylus' available. Does anyone  know where I might locate a
stylus for this  machine?  It's  really a pretty neat stereo system,  fairly
small,  the  speakers fold out and  can be removed   with long cords to
provide  stereo sound, the turntable  folds down.   Have looked for a
number on the tone arm to guide me in looking for a replacement, but see
nothing.  Although I have  some  78 players, this is the first one I've
owned which plays 16 rpm records.  The speed on the turntable seems correct
and there is sound  when  fingering the  connections for the stylus, so it
appears to be  ready to go, if I can just find the right  needle.  It will
be a bargain  regardless of whether I find a needle, the entire machine cost
me $2.00.  Thanks in advance.
Jim Whipkey