[78-L] Ward Allen: old-time fiddler

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 5 11:03:24 PST 2009

4-56 is the release date. Sparton, Quality and Canadian Columbia showed these
dates from about the mid 50s.

The "do not broadcast or we'll have your gonads for brunch" warning was
standard on record labels beginning some time in the 20s..since radio stations
paid licensing fees anyway, it couldn't have meant anything. The timings were
for radio stations, but it was probably much simpler to print standardized
labels, especially in Canada where we rarely got promo labels because of the
smaller market. The publishing info was also for radio station use..if you
clean out old station libraries, you'll often find ASCAP (or -CAP) and BMI
stickers covering the top part of the label. We used to have to send logs a few
times a year and ASCAP (or CAPAC) and BMI (later PRO-CAN) would base their
royalties on these submissions..so if your friend wrote a song and Anne Murray
stuck it on her second album, that was the week you played it. These surveys
were never done around Christmas time. Two guesses why.

dl