[78-L] My first MAPL side on a 78 rpm?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Mar 3 17:46:55 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Davies" <SDavies at mtroyal.ca>
>        Thanks to Steven B and David L for those series numbers indicating
> Canadian sides.  Does that mean I can assume those sides were locally
> recorded?

This depends on the company...! Columbia never had recording facilities
in Canada (AFAIK, anyway) so their "Canadian" series were UK sides
issued for Canada sale. Berliner and its later version,VTM(C), DID
record in Montreal; sadly, any ledgers are long since lost...! Compo
(including Decca) also recorded in Montreal; these ledgers DO
still exist (at the NLC)! There were a handful of postwar "indie"
Canadian labels which also recorded in Canada...

Steven C. Barr