[78-L] BBC reports on the Melba masters

Ryszard ryszardk at netscape.com
Tue Mar 3 09:51:16 PST 2009

Last night the BBC celebrated the world-wide publication of some rare recordings from the beginning of Nellie Melba's recording career with a short interview.  Yes, the Historic Masters' pressings from the lost Melba masters (found in the Deutsche Grammophon archives last year), are now available.

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_7920000/7920415.stm>

The interview is interesting, and almost cute.  And it does have a nice audio sample which goes from a regular pressing to the new one.  But I felt cheated for maybe the first time by the BBC.  That being said, I haven't found any coverage in the United States yet.

There was a good article about the masters in the Sydney Morning Herald back in December (posted here earlier, I think), when the pressings were first issued in Australia.

<http://www.smh.com.au/news/entertainment/arts/masters-bring-melba-back-to-life/2008/12/01/1227979929990.html>

And, of course, there is lots of information (and more samples) at the Historic Masters web site.

<http://www.historicmasters.org/?tag=nellie-melba>

If you have about 100 British Pounds or the equivalent floating around, you can now own this lavish set--wish I did.

Ryszard