[78-L] Lost Recordings

Tom Hood thood at shaw.ca
Mon Mar 2 16:57:58 PST 2009

Hi All
I located a group of Victor Home recordings from the early 1930s.The person
that made them ran a radio guide & had sold advertising to a store selling
radios.The store owner could not pay for the ads so he gave the magazine
owner an RCA Victor radio phonograph that would record discs.
Will Reader the editor of the magazine started making recordings off the
air.For years no one could play the discs
so they wound up with me.The discs could be played & I found they were a
goldmine of recordings of local radio
(Vancouver B C,Canada) performers from the early 30's.
One of the earliest air checks of Amos & Andy was among them along with BBC
Royal broadcasts which included commentary not saved by the BBC.They also
included early examples of The Canadian Radio Commission
network broadcasts made prior the establishment of the CBC.
Who knows how many more of these Victor home recordings are out there
believed to be unplayable.
A good place to look for buried treasure!
Tom Hood