[78-L] Oysters Anyone?

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Feb 28 22:40:53 PST 2009

Harold Aherne wrote:
> "This was a real nice clambake" is from Rodgers & Hammerstein's "Carousel", and it
> does relate to a seafood feast, though it concentrates more on the fun had by
> its participants ("The victuals we et were good, you bet / The company was the
> same").

It does go a bit further with details of the lobsters and, more to the
point of this thread, the clams.

Enoch:
Remember when we raked them red hot lobsters
Out of the driftwood fire?
They sizzled and crackled and sputtered a song
Fittin' for an angels' choir.

Girls:
Fittin' for an angels,
Fittin' for an angels,
Fittin' for an angels choir.

Nettie:
We slit 'em down the back and peppered 'em good,
And doused 'em in melted butter.

Carrie:
Then we tore away the claws and cracked 'em with our teeth
Cuz we weren't in the mood to putter.

Girls:
Fittin' for an angels,
Fittin' for an angels,
Fittin' for an angels choir.

A guy:
Then at last come the clams.

Guys:
Steamed under rockweed and poppin' from their shells.

All:
Just how many of 'em galloped down our gullets,
We couldn't say ourselves, oh,

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com