[78-L] Oysters Anyone?

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 28 19:45:42 PST 2009

"This was a real nice clambake" is from Rodgers & Hammerstein's "Carousel", and it
does relate to a seafood feast, though it concentrates more on the fun had by
its participants ("The victuals we et were good, you bet / The company was the
same"). The only 78s I can find of it at the moment are both on Decca, one by
Hildegarde and the Song Spinners, the other from the Broadway cast album.

I have to confess that I'm not at all a Rodgers & Hammerstein fan. Their work
separately is quite brilliant, but their work together seems really pretentious and takes
itself way too seriously. Perhaps they were innovative, but I really and genuinely prefer
the approach to plots and songs that existed before they screwed everything up. ;-).
But obviously they have legions of fans, so dismissing them in the middle of a
discussion about their clambake song is just shellfish.

-Harold