[78-L] help req on a few 78s (prices or monetary value)

Glenn Longwell glongwell at snet.net
Thu Feb 26 10:04:12 PST 2009

The only book I know about regarding prices of 78s is Les Docks' American Premium Record Guide 1900-1965.
I've looked at pricing in here as merely a guide.  Many records he says are $5-8 or $8-12 you can get on Ebay for $1-3 and many of them don't even sell for that asking price.  So a price guide is only that - a guide.

Relevant to this discussion is a small collection of R&B 78's I bought on Ebay.  I paid a little over $2 each for a similar group of artists and labels.  Docks' book had one of the records at $100-150.  A few others were $20-30.  So what is the value of them really?  No one really can hazard a guess except to say they are now worth $2 each since that's what someone (me) paid for them.  I'm sure if they were E+ someone would have bid it up higher, but how much?  So value is exactly what Bill already said - what someone is willing to pay for them.  On any given day who knows what that price may be.  I thought I was "dumping" a small set of 4 records once and found that 2 guys in Japan bid it up to $600. They were the only two bidders and if one of them wasn't taking part they would have sold for $6 and I would have been happy to have them go. You just never know.

Having said all that I don't want say that Docks' book is useless as I do find it quite useful.  Value is just such a moving target that it's hard to have an authoritative book that can stay up to date.

My 2 cents.

Glenn