[78-L] Recordings of Maude Adams?

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 25 21:33:23 PST 2009

This actress, the (almost) creator of Peter Pan and other Barrie roles, has begun to
fascinate me. Her deep-set eyes and placid expression are entrancing, and her
reputation among those who saw her in 1897 or 1905 can be regarded as
adoration. We can only regret that so little of her legacy is available to us today.

She was extraordinarily private and ascetic, comparable to Garbo. Her disdain
for appearing in public, as well as the aura of mystery that Charles Frohman
preferred his actresses to have, makes it unlikely that she recorded any 78s.
For thousands of people to own a recording of her voice and to be able to play
it at any time was probably too much for Maudie (as her fans called her) to
acquiesce to. Nevertheless, she did make a few radio broadcasts on NBC in 1933-34.
According to the website linked below, two of her performances were of The Little
Minister and Peter Pan! To be able to hear her recite Barrie's lines would be
extraordinary. See http://www.bookmice.net/darkchilde/maude/adams211.html

But NBC did not have a transcription department when those broadcasts were
made, and if they survive at all they do not circulate among collectors, it seems.
Does anyone know if they still exist? Aside from these, the only film or recording
of Adams seems to be a 1938 screen test done by David O. Selznick which is
held by the George Eastman House. And so, unlike even Ellen Terry, Maude Adams'
skills will have to remain largely as memories, and I envy those who had a chance
to witness them.

-Harold