[78-L] The Grafonola in the Classroom and Col A7505

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Feb 24 22:41:25 PST 2009

Royal Pemberton wrote:
> Good question!  I'm not terribly sure one would.  As both stories came
> from books, my hunch is this record may have been intended as a kind
> of companion to the books.

My first thought also was that the kids would be reading along with the
record, except that this side came from the book "Kindergarten Review"
and I was the only kid in my kindergarten class who knew how to read.
>  Back when I first had the record, I owned
> an G2 model Grafonola upright cabinet machine, and I carefully played
> the record on it.  I don't recall hearing much of a difference in
> intelligibility.
>
> I do have a small Columbia portable model 110, and if you'd like, I
> could play excerpts on it, record them with a microphone, and post
> links to the clips, if you'd like to hear the difference.  Just let me
> know.

Yes, it would be an interesting exercise.  Back in the 60s and  70s, the
Library of Congress noticed that some of their ethnomusicoligical
cylinders were more intelligible when played acoustically.  They dubbed
all of them three ways, acoustically, electrically with no filtering,
and electrically with equalization to try to bring out the sound, and
would then let the listener choose which one to listen to

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com