[78-L] John S Cullings is out of the office.

Mark S. Chester mschester at email.msn.com
Tue Feb 24 19:16:27 PST 2009

Good thing it comes only once. One email listserv I subscribe to (a fairly
low-volume list; one or two messages per week at that time) had an incident
a few years back where a message came in to the listserv on the Wednesday
before Thanksgiving and triggered from one subscriber an "out of office
autoreply" which went out to the listserv... and to all the subscribers
including the offending account itself, and the autoreply being relayed by
the listserv to that account triggered another autoreply, and so on and so
on in an infinite loop. The original message apparently came in around
midnight, and when I checked my mail around 7 AM there were around 450
messages in my inbox (as well as that of each and every other subscriber)
all saying "so and so is out of the office..." and another message came in
about every two minutes until I finally persuaded the list owner to
unsubscribe the out of office person or it would have gone on for five days.
There were also a rash of jokes and protests among all of those messages,
including my own "does anyone besides me get the impression that so-and-so
is out of the office..."

Mark S. Chester
Phoenixville, PA
www.whalom.com