[78-L] Two mysterious Varsitys

davdieh at aol.com davdieh at aol.com
Mon Feb 23 22:16:33 PST 2009

-----Original Message----

> 5098    CODY'S COWBOY BAND with singing:

>     BLACK EYED SUSAN BROWN/WHEN IT'S DARKNESS ON THE DELTA
>     (Crown masters C1974/5
>
> "Cody's" is the real surprise..it ain't no cowboy band at all! It's a decent
> early 30s dance band with some nice playing, and a vocalist who sounds a bit
> like Ozzie Nelson. (Somebody go get that shotgun away from Simmons.)
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> dl
>     (Crown masters C1974/5)
> Both by Del Lampe & his Palais D'Or Orch

Must be very late Crown sides. Darkness On The Delta is listed as Crown 3441,
no mx shown, and Susan Brown isn't listed in Rust.

Now how did Obie come up with "Cody's Cowboy Band" for this?

> Lang Thompson made quite a few sides for Varsity and a few for Elite.  ZZZZZZZ

Agree.

Vocalist is presumably the inimitable Bill Coty [ugh] on Crown 3450, early 1933. I presume Darkness On The Delta has
the "darkie" reference which would have consigned it to the 5000 cowboy series.  Can't let those politically incorrect
sides go to waste y'know.
David Diehl