[78-L] Two mysterious Varsitys

simmonssomer simmonssomer at comcast.net
Mon Feb 23 21:31:25 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
To: "78L" <78-L at 78online.com>
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2009 11:43 PM
Subject: [78-L] Two mysterious Varsitys

> Today the Sally Ann in Niagara Falls NY yielded up an album containing the
> filthiest Varsitys I've ever seen (yes, two of them were John Ryans, but I
> already had them). I picked up a couple, and neither is in Rust..although
> one
> of them I expected to be in Russell, for reasons which will be obvious.
>
> 8185 LANG THOMPSON & HIS ORCHESTRA (vocals: Chuck Eaton, Peggy Nolan)
> LAST NIGHT ON THE BACK PORCH/ROW ROW ROW
> (hotel band, sounds like Orrin Tucker)
>
> 5098 CODY'S COWBOY BAND with singing:
> BLACK EYED SUSAN BROWN/WHEN IT'S DARKNESS ON THE DELTA
> (Crown masters C1974/5)
>
> "Cody's" is the real surprise..it ain't no cowboy band at all! It's a
> decent
> early 30s dance band with some nice playing, and a vocalist who sounds a
> bit
> like Ozzie Nelson. (Somebody go get that shotgun away from Simmons.)
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> dl

Ozzie Nelson. OZZIE NELSON?
Slowly I turned and step by step, inch by inch ..closer and closer..until I
got my hands on it.......... and smashed it until it was a worthless pile of
shellac particles......... hah hah hah hah hah............ into the Cuisinar
and goodbye down the toilet. I never have to hear it again.
Finally I can enjoy those Tommy Tuckers.

Al S.