[78-L] The Grafonola in the Classroom and Col A7505

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Feb 23 22:05:52 PST 2009

Harold Aherne wrote:
> If anyone's interested, Google books now has available a 1920 Columbia
> catalogue aimed at schools for the sake of using Columbia discs to teach,
> and not strictly the designated educational discs either (I think A300-A3173?).
> It can be found at
>
> http://tinyurl.com/b57esr
>
> Of course, there's no Art Hickman, Nora Bayes, or Ted Lewis to be found in
> these pages, but there are a number of fascinating pictures and illustrations.
This is a great service.  I have several editions of the Victor
educational books but never knew Columbia also did this.  The stuff late
in the book is interesting.  They have a page about using the
dictophone, and in the page about foreign language records they mention
the Cortina lessons which they pressed.  There is a page listing
Christmas records -- a subject of a long thread in December -- and then
have a page of foreign Christmas records followed by a page of Hebrew
records!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com