[78-L] Two mysterious Varsitys

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Feb 23 20:43:17 PST 2009

Today the Sally Ann in Niagara Falls NY yielded up an album containing the
filthiest Varsitys I've ever seen (yes, two of them were John Ryans, but I
already had them). I picked up a couple, and neither is in Rust..although one
of them I expected to be in Russell, for reasons which will be obvious.

8185	LANG THOMPSON & HIS ORCHESTRA (vocals: Chuck Eaton, Peggy Nolan)
	LAST NIGHT ON THE BACK PORCH/ROW ROW ROW
	(hotel band, sounds like Orrin Tucker)

5098	CODY'S COWBOY BAND with singing:
	BLACK EYED SUSAN BROWN/WHEN IT'S DARKNESS ON THE DELTA
	(Crown masters C1974/5)

"Cody's" is the real surprise..it ain't no cowboy band at all! It's a decent
early 30s dance band with some nice playing, and a vocalist who sounds a bit
like Ozzie Nelson. (Somebody go get that shotgun away from Simmons.)

Any thoughts?