[78-L] The Grafonola in the Classroom and Col A7505

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 23 19:58:31 PST 2009

If anyone's interested, Google books now has available a 1920 Columbia
catalogue aimed at schools for the sake of using Columbia discs to teach,
and not strictly the designated educational discs either (I think A300-A3173?).
It can be found at

http://tinyurl.com/b57esr

Of course, there's no Art Hickman, Nora Bayes, or Ted Lewis to be found in
these pages, but there are a number of fascinating pictures and illustrations.

Now, something I've been pondering for a while: the artist on 12-inch A7505
is (as spelt in this catalogue) "May Murray". Is there a chance that it might
be Mae Murray, the film actress? The contents of the disc appear to be child-
oriented, and Rust does not include it in the CED. But it was recorded two years
before Mae Murray the actress became a hit in the 1915 Ziegfeld Follies, and
perhaps she was willing to take any sort of work. Based on Murray's handful
of talkie appearances, her voice was rather fluttery, not unlike Billie Burke's but
a little lower in register. Has anyone heard this disc for comparison?

-Harold