[78-L] Marilyn Monroe holding a 78! [FWD]

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 21 08:48:00 PST 2009

It's Ford Sterling, taken from the 1926 film version of "The Show-Off". (Well, OK,
I half-thought that it was Harrison Ford [the first and best one], but the indication
that it came from a collection labelled "The Show-Off" as well as the unmistakable
hat and cane quickly corrected any such beliefs!)

Even Greta Garbo was photographed holding 78s. In her first Hollywood film
"The Torrent" (also 1926) she plays an opera star who returns to her small Spanish
town for one scene, and she winds up a phono and puts one of her records on it
to drop a hint to the townspeople as to who she really is. Also there's a photo in
Kevin Brownlow's "The Parade's Gone By" of Garbo holding what must be a Victor
78 with Clarence Brown showing her an Electrola.

-Harold